How to send a redirect to Google Webmaster (Google Search Console) | Education
|How to send a redirect to Google Webmaster (Google Search Console)|
What is the best way to submit a redirect to Google Webmaster (Google Search Console)?
Changing domains can be a tiring experience for any business, but it can also be helpful: if the new domain has better search engine optimization because of the URL, then it could increase your traffic and profits, or maybe the new domain has a better search engine optimization. new website host with better rates and bandwidth. In either case, there are specific steps to take to ease the transition. Redirecting your old site to the new location with Google Webmaster Tools can ensure that Google retains your search ranking.
1. Sign in to Google Webmaster Tools or sign in to Google, select "Account", then "Products" and "Webmaster Tools".
2. Click the "Add a site" button if you need to add the new domain for your site.
3. Type the URL of your new site address.
4. Verify that you are the owner of the new site by uploading the provided HTML file to the root directory of your new site. This is the recommended method, and it is usually the fastest.
Alternatively, you can add a meta tag to your home page or use your Google Analytics account, both options work fine for blogs, though using Analytics account verification is a bit of a hassle, unless your site has the code for Analytics within the "" section of your home page.
The last option is to log in to your domain name provider and verify through them, which is usually the most difficult.
5. Click "Verify". If the site verifies, click "Settings" and "Settings" to set your preferred domain (such as www.example.com or just example.com).
6. Make sure all of your content is uploaded to the new site. A quick way to check this is by clicking "Health" and then "Get as Google". On the "Browse as Google" page, type the URLs of some of the new site's pages to see if they show up.
7. Add 301 redirects to your old site if possible. In the .htaccess file of your old site, add the line:
+FollowSymLinks RewriteEngine Options in RewriteRule (.*) http://www.mynewsite.com/$1 [R=301,L]
Replace "http://www.mynewsite.com" with the name of your new site. This will redirect each page to the new domain's page.
Alternatively you could add:
301 redirect / http://www.mynewsite.com
Note the space between "/" and "http". This tells your old website host to redirect all traffic destined for your site to the new home page.
8. Click on the old site in your Webmaster Tools, then "Settings" and "Change Address".
Select the new domain for your site from the verified list and press "Submit".
9. Test the move by trying to navigate to your old site.
Source: Ben Richard, Chron, Direct News 99